Everything Avocado Toast
(Makes 2 avocado toasts)
- 2 slices whole-grain bread
- 1 large or 2 small avocados, halved and pitted
- Fine sea salt
Everything Spice Blend:
- 2 Tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoons dried minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1. To make the toast: Toast the bread in the toaster until golden. Using a spoon, scoop the flesh of the avocado onto a plate. Then, add a dash of salt and use a fork to mash the avocado until it is mostly smooth. Scoop the mashed avocado onto the bread and spread it into an even layer. Top with a sprinkle of Everything Spice Blend and serve immediately.
2. To make the Everything Spice Blend: In a small skillet, combine the sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion, dried garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes (if using) and toast over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the spices are fragrant and the sunflower seeds are turning lightly golden on the edges, about 5 minutes. (Keep an eye on the pan, as the seeds can burn if they are not stirred frequently, especially during the last couple of minutes.) Transfer the mix to a small bowl to cool.
3. Store cooled leftover spice blend in a jar at room temperature for up to 1 month.
Find this recipe and 100 more in Love Real Food, including make-your-own instant oatmeal mix; fluffy, naturally sweetened, whole-grain blueberry muffins; hearty green salads; warming soups; pineapple pico de gallo; and healthier homemade pizzas.