Chocolate Hazelnut Pie
(Makes 8 servings)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
For the crust:
- 3/4 cup hazelnuts, skins removed (see tip)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon celtic or pink Himalayan salt
For the filling:
- 8 ounces pitted dates (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toasted hazelnuts, crushed, for garnish (optional)
1. For the crust: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. In a food processor, pulse the hazelnuts into a coarse powder. Add the coconut oil, coconut flour, maple syrup, and salt and pulse until the mixture holds together. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Pierce the bottom of the crust all over with a fork and bake until the edges are browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely.
3. For the filling: Soak the dates in boiling water for 15 minutes. drain off the water and add the dates to a food processor. Pulse a few times to break up the dates, then add the coconut oil, cocoa, maple syrup, and vanilla. Process until the mixture is mostly smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Spread into the cooled crust and refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
4. Garnish with crushed toasted hazelnuts, if desired.
Tip: To remove hazelnut skins, preheat an oven to 350°F. Spread the hazelnuts on a large rimmed baking sheet and toast until the skins begin to pull away from the nut, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a large kitchen towel and use the towel to rub all the skins off.