Chai Gingerbread Cookies
Makes 18 to 24 cookies
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- Food coloring of choice
1. To make the cookies: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar. With an electric mixer on high speed, beat the mixture until creamy. Add the egg yolk, honey, and vanilla and mix until combined. Add the flour mixture. Mix on low speed until combined. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or ideally overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough until it’s 1⁄8" thick. Stamp out cookies using any cookie cutter you like. Transfer to the baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes, or until the edges are light golden brown. Allow to cool completely on the baking sheet. Recombine the scraps and repeat the process with the remaining dough.
4. To make the royal icing: In a large bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, egg white, and water. With the whisk attachment of an electric mixer, beat on high for 5 minutes, or until thickened and glossy. Add your desired food coloring and mix to combine. Transfer to a piping bag and decorate the cookies however you like!