More: 10 Cooking Tips for Hungry Runners
Along with the falafel and tahini sauce, stuff the pitas with your favorite toppings, including cucumber slices, lettuce, tomato, and red onion.
Sweet Potato-Black Bean Falafel
(Makes 4 servings)
Per serving: 595 calories, 80 g carbs, 17 g fiber, 21 g protein, 24 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat, 822 mg sodium
Total time: 30 minutes
For the Falafel:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound total)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
For the Tahini Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons tahini
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 large whole wheat pitas (6 to 8 inches)
1. For the falafel: Prick the sweet potatoes with a fork, then set on a paper towel and microwave on high for 6 minutes, or until tender.
2. When cool enough to handle, halve the sweet potatoes and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Add the beans and mash together with a fork. Mix in the wheat germ, onion, walnuts, mustard, cumin, salt, and pepper until well combined.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Use a tablespoon to shape the sweet potato mixture into 16 patties (each about 2 inches long and 1 inch wide) and set the falafel patties on a plate. Add half of the falafel to the hot skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until they form a crispy, golden crust. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and falafel patties.
4. Make the tahini sauce: In a small bowl, stir together the tahini, water, and lemon juice.
5. With the tip of a knife, cut an opening in one side of each pita. Divide the falafel among the pitas and drizzle with the tahini sauce.