Sautéed Lemony Artichokes
Makes 4 servings
- 3 artichokes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Crushed red-pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
1. Using scissors, trim the artichokes. Cut them in half and scoop out and discard their fuzzy centers. Trim the outside again and cut the center heart into slices. Place in a bowl of water with some lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
2. Bring a saucepan full of water to a simmer over medium heat. Drop in the sliced artichokes and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tender. Drain the artichokes.
3. In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the oil and add the red-pepper flakes to taste. Cook the artichokes, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in the garlic, lemon zest and juice, parsley, and salt to taste. Cook for 5 minutes, or until very tender. Season with additional salt if desired.
More: Where Eating Organic Matters Most