- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 ounces turkey bacon, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups green split peas, washed and picked over
- 1 teaspoon fresh mint or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or
- vegetable broth
- 2 slices high-fiber bread, toasted and cut into triangles
1. Warm the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the turkey bacon, carrots, onion, and celery; season with salt and pepper.
2. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the split peas, mint, and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes, stirring often and adding up to 1 cup of water to maintain a soupy consistency.
3. Using a mug or ladle, remove about half of the soup. Puree it in a blender and return it to the pot. Warm it through, adding more broth if the soup seems too thick. Adjust the seasonings if necessary. Serve with the toast triangles.
Adapted from 5 Pounds