In her new book Shape Up Sisters, Fondren gives us loads of healthified comfort foods that have us lickin' our lips hardcore. We're more than sure that this recipe for Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken will forever change the way you see the family favorite.
Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken
(Makes 6 servings)
Total time: 60 to 80 minutes
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 cup cornflakes, crumbled
1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons dried hot pepper, crushed
1 teaspoon ground ginger
8 pieces skinless chicken (4 breasts, 4 drumsticks)
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
A few shakes paprika
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, combine the milk and 1/2 teaspoon of poultry seasoning.
2. Combine the cornflake crumbs with all other spices and place in a plastic bag.
3. Wash the chicken and pat dry. Dip the chicken into the milk and shake to remove excess liquid. Quickly shake it in the bag with the seasonings and crumbs, and remove the chicken from the bag. Refrigerate the chicken for 1 hour.
4. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator sand sprinkle it lightly with paprika for color. Space chicken evenly on baking pan greased with vegetable oil. Cover with aluminum foil and bake, unturned, for 40 minutes.
5. Remove the foil and continue baking, unturned, for another 30 to 40 minutes or until the meat can easily be pulled away from the bone with a fork. Drumsticks may require less baking time than the breasts. Crumbs will form a crispy "skin."
UP NEXT: The Best Sugar-Saving Supermarket Swaps
Check out Fondren this Friday, April 18, at 4 p.m. E.T. on The Dr. Oz Show! You can also hear more about what it took for Fondren's town in one of America's fattest and poorest states to lose 15,000 pounds in her new book Shape Up Sisters!