Pink Pickled Eggs (and Pickled Beets)
(Makes 6 servings)
- 5 medium red beets
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 6 Hard-Boiled Eggs
1. Place the beets in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the beets are tender but not mushy, 30 to 45 minutes. Drain, rinse with cool water, peel, and cut into 1 " pieces. Place the beets in a large glass jar or bowl.
2. Rinse out the now-empty saucepan and return it to the stove. Add the vinegar, water, sugar, and salt and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar and salt. Pour the hot brine over the beets.
3. Peel the eggs and add them to the jar with the beets. Let cool to room temperature, then cover the jar with a lid or bowl and transfer to the refrigerator. The beets will be ready to eat in a day but will keep, refrigerated, for up to 6 weeks; the eggs should be eaten within a day or two.