Matcha Orange-Cardamom Latte
(Makes 4 servings)
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 Tablespoon matcha green tea powder
- 3 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom, plus more for garnish
- 3 Tablespoons monk fruit powder, coconut palm sugar, or lakanto sweetener (see note)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pink pepper, plus more for garnish
1. In a kettle or small saucepan, heat the water until it comes to a boil. In a large bowl, add 1/4 cup of the hot water to the matcha powder. Using a matcha brush or a whisk, mix to create a smooth paste, making sure there are no clumps.
2. In a small saucepan, heat the coconut milk until it simmers. Pour the coconut milk and the remaining hot water into the bowl with the matcha paste. Add the orange extract, cardamom, sweetener or sugar, and the pepper.
3. Transfer to a blender. Blend on high speed until frothy, about 15 seconds. (Alternatively, transfer the mixture to mugs and use a handheld milk frother.) Pour into mugs and garnish with a pinch each of cardamom and pepper.
Note: Look for monk fruit powder, coconut palm sugar, or Lakanto sweetener at health food stores. These low-glycemic sweeteners add just a touch of sweetness without overwhelming the delicate matcha flavor.