More: 15 Heart-Healthy Things to Do Now
Cashews, which are used as a substitute for milk, cream, and cheese in vegan diets, have a high fat content; therefore, if they are kept at room temperature, they will not stay fresh. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator and they will last 4 to 6 months. You can also freeze them for up to 8 months.
Heart-Strong Spinach Soup
(Makes 4 servings)
Per serving: 172 calories, 15 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 g carbohydrates, 2 g sugar, 23 mg sodium, 4 g fiber, 4 g protein
- 4 - 5 cups chopped spinach
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup almonds, cashews, or pine nuts
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, chopped, for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped avocado, for garnish
In a blender, combine the spinach, water, basil, cucumber, onion, nuts, oil, and garlic. Blend until the desired consistency is reached. Serve cold, garnished with the tomato and avocado.