Enjoy the full sensory experience of this soup. It's prettier and more delicate than just about any other soup I make.
Grapefruit and Fennel Consommé
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small bulb fennel, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- Sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 red grapefruits, segmented and chopped into bite-size pieces and juice reserved (about 4 cups flesh and 1 cup juice)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1. In a medium skillet over medium heat, warm the oil. Cook the fennel, salt, and pepper, stirring frequently, for 8 minutes, or until the fennel starts to caramelize. Add a splash of water and allow the steam to cook the fennel for 1 minute.
2. In a large bowl, combine the fennel, grapefruit juice and segments, orange peel, water, and dill.
3. Ladle into bowls and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour or overnight. Enjoy chilled.
Adapted from Soup Cleanse Cookbook