Chocolate-Banana Cupcakes with Almond Butter "Frosting"
(Makes 24 servings)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes plus cooling time
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Celtic or pink Himalayan salt
- 3 ripe medium bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup natural almond butter
- 1 Tablespoon cacao nibs
- 2 teaspoons flaky Celtic or pink Himalayan salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 24 cups of a mini muffin pan with paper liners and coat the liners with coconut oil spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, ground flax, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the bananas, coconut oil, eggs, and 1 teaspoon of the vanilla and stir until smooth. Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
4. Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake until a wooden pick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove and cool completely before frosting.
5. In a small bowl, with an electric mixer, whip the almond butter and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla until light and smooth. Spread over the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle cacao nibs and some flaky salt over the cupcakes before serving.