Step up your burger game with just a few ingredients and tons of flavor.
Caramelized Onion and Swiss Burgers
(Makes 4 servings)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound 93% lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup black olive tapenade
- 4 slices slices (3/4 ounce each) reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 4 multigrain English muffins, toasted
- 1/2 tomato, cut into 4 slices
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high.
2. Heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 9 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the heat and season with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper.
3. Meanwhile, gently combine the beef, 2 tablespoons of the tapenade, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a bowl. Form the mixture into 4 patties 1/2" thick. Set on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill for 5 minutes without turning. Turn and grill for 4 minutes, or until a thermometer inserted sideways registers 160°F. Transfer the burgers to a plate. Top each burger with 1 slice of cheese and let rest 1 to 2 minutes to melt the cheese.
4. Spread the bottom half of each English muffin with 1 1/2 teaspoons of the remaining tapenade. Top each with 1 tomato slice, one-fourth of the onions, and a burger. Top each burger with 1 of the the remaining English muffin halves.
Adapted from Flat Belly Diet! Family Cookbook