This sweet-and-spicy recipe from The Flat Belly Diet Gluten-Free Cookbook will crush your crispy, starchy cravings without weighing you down. The brown sugar only amounts to about 4 grams per serving, but if you want to avoid added sugar all together (not a bad idea considering its negative effects), you can easily leave it out for a more savory side dish.
Chipotle and Brown Sugar Roasted Sweet Potatoes
(Makes 4 servings)
Nutrition per serving: 231 calories, 2 g protein, 26 g carbohydrates, 14 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 3 g fiber, 209 mg sodium
• 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), cut lengthwise into 8 wedges each
• 1⁄4 cup olive oil
• 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons gluten-free chipotle chili powder
• 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
How to make it:
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. On the baking sheet, toss the potatoes with the oil, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Spread the potatoes evenly in the pan and roast for 15 minutes. Turn the potatoes and roast for 15 minutes longer, or until golden brown and crisp.