This basic recipe is easily modified to create numerous variations. For example, add 2 teaspoons ground or crushed rosemary, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and 1 teaspoon dried garlic for italian-style flatbread. or, after baking, brush the top with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese. For bread that goes perfectly with cream cheese, add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and your choice of sweetener equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar.
More: How to Go Grain-Free on a Budget
Note that the sequence of adding the ingredients specified below must be followed as written to avoid the common "baker's ammonia" effect, the result of the baking soda in the baking mix reacting with the proteins in the eggs, generating an ammonia smell, which is unpleasant. When you add the vinegar first, the acetic acid in the vinegar will react with the baking soda, preventing the reaction with the egg.
Basic Focaccia Flatbread
(Makes 6 servings)
Per serving: 289 calories, 11 g protein, 10 g carbohydrates, 25 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat, 6 g fiber, 415 mg sodium
For the All-Purpose Baking Mix:
- 4 cups almond meal/flour
- 1 cup ground golden flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground psyllium seed (optional)
For the Flatbread:
- 2 cups All-purpose Baking Mix
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt 3 eggs, whisked
1. For the All-Purpose Baking Mix: In a large bowl, whisk together the almond meal/flour, flaxseeds, coconut flour, baking soda, and psyllium seed (if desired). Store in an airtight container, preferably in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a large rimmed baking sheet.
3. For the Flatbread: In a large bowl, place the baking mix. In a small bowl or cup, combine the oil, vinegar, water, xanthan gum (if desired), and salt. Add to the baking mix and quickly mix together. Let sit for 1 minute, then add the whisked eggs and mix together thoroughly.
4. With moistened hands, place the dough on the baking sheet and shape into an 8" x 12" rectangle.
5. Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. With a pizza cutter or knife, cut into six 3" x 4" pieces. Store in the refrigerator.