2 cups instant or quick-cooking oatmeal
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large egg whites
3/4 cup coarsely chopped dried cherries
1/2 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly coat a 9- by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet with canola oil.
2. In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, and salt. Stir to thoroughly combine.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine the honey, applesauce, oil, and egg whites.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir to form a rich, thick batter. Add the cherries, apricots, almonds, and walnuts and stir until completely distributed.
5. Press the batter into the baking sheet, until it completely covers the sheet in a smooth and even layer. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until cooked through.
6. Let cool completely before cutting into 20 rectangular bars. (Make 1 cut lengthwise and then 10 horizontal cuts to create 20 bars.)
More from Fitbie: