Reality: You're unsure what's more unpleasant: the 5:45 a.m. alarm come morning or Fran Drescher's voice.
More from Fitbie: 'Only' Running a 5K Is Nothing to Laugh About
2. Expectation: You'll get to the race way in advance and make it in and out of the porta-potty line with tons of time to spare, raising your hands in victory.
Reality: You and everyone else get there extra early, resulting in the longest line in the history of lines. Think if Ryan Gosling were holding a casting call for a potential wife … long.
3. Expectation: You're going to look wonderful in those brand new running capris.
Reality: You look great. Like, final rose ceremony flawless. But man, you should have washed 'em first because hello itches you cannot touch in public.
More from Fitbie: 80 Thoughts Every Woman Has While Running a Half-Marathon
4. Expectation: You're just running this for fun, not a care in the world except to finish.
Reality: The adrenaline during your run fuels you to a new PR.
5. Expectation: You're going to immediately look hotter to every man on Instagram because you just ran an epic race and have the photos to show for it!
Reality: Most men aren't awake when you're posting your slammin' race photos. Gotta love that 7 a.m. race time.
6. Expectation: You and your girlfriend will have a total blast running this one together. You can't wait to take pics!
Reality: The two of you couldn't have had a more different race strategy if you tried. While she's a start slow, finish fast kinda girl -- you're a slow and steady wins the race … the entire time. Alas, she owes you.